Happy Friday! Doesn’t it feel like fall is just around the corner? Well, honestly, I feel like it is May, but I have already spotted pumpkin spice latte memes, fall fashion, and football talk! Kids start back to school next week and everyone is home from their summer holidays. In this post I show how to transition and reuse your spring and summer floral for fall!
I shot this look with my sister, Tillman, of @tillmansloanphotography back in April! The dress is an old style from Vestique, my shoes are Torrid from 2012 (the first Valentino dupe I remember finding), and my necklace is vintage Avon, from my grandmother. My sunnies are “Cherry Bomb” by Quay and are still available for purchase.
I was waiting for some inspiration on how to pull this outfit to be relevant for your current and future closet and it occurred to me yesterday in yoga.
Florals have been huge this year, but they are a classic print that is frequents mainstream fashion. Truthfully, I gravitate toward colorful floral prints often and do not buy enough solid staples. I am sad to see them go in the fall and winter, but there are on-trend ways to carry them into fall this year!
How to Transition Your Florals in Fall
- THE UNDER TEE. Have you seen this style? It is all over the blogosphere and I am obsessed! Basically, you take a tank style dress or wrap dress and just throw a t-shirt underneath. I recently bought THESE Lush raw hem shirts to layer with my dresses. I have THIS Madwell tee in white if the raw hem would bother you (it curls up if you dry them). One of my favorite bloggers, Barefoot Blonde by Amber Clark, kills this look HERE and HERE and HERE.
- THE DRESS TURNED SKIRT? As cooler weather approaches, I like to wear a fitted sweater over my longer floral dresses. It creates a maxi skirt feel and is super stylish.
- FLANNEL OR BUTTON UP AS JACKET. How many button-ups do you have? Since I sit at a computer from 8-5, I have literally 30 or 40. I have loved @courtney_shields styling dresses under flannels. I recently bought THIS Rails shirt and love it as a jacket. It feels odd at first, but wearing button-ups unbuttoned as jackets provides many new possibilities.
- CARDI, CARDI, CARDI, CARDIGANS. Now, say that 5 times fast! We can say “Ce la vie” to boring and dark maroon, brown, black, and navy. This year’s fall trends contain lighter, brighter varieties. I have spotted (and bought) cardigans and sweaters in blush, yellow, mustard, garnet, and white. Olive is also trending. Pairing lights and darks such as beige or even white booties, dark-wash raw-hem jeans, and a grey tee are commonplace. The great thing about the bright shades is that they match summery florals easier!
- THE MOTO JACKET. I am obsessed with my BLANKNYC moto jacket and plan to buy new colors in the future! I love how edgy adding a simple moto-style jacket dresses up a floral dress. It also adds warmth and makes it easier to transition into fall. Finally, I have seen many bomber jackets that are similar to moto jackets, in floral patterns. Purchasing one like THIS would definitely pull floral patterns into your fall look.
Scroll to the bottom to shop floral styles to grab before fall arrives! Find the sunglasses HERE.